|NEWS||GOVT & AGENCIES||CAPITAL MARKET||OPPORTUNITIES||ECONOMIC DATA||CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE||TOURISM||SCREENSAVERS|
HOME > GOVT & AGENCIES > Obtaining The New Nigerian Passport
Guidelines and Procedures For Obtaining The New
23rd Feb, 2002) Tell
your friends about this page! Email it to them.
The history of passport issuance in Nigeria dates as far back as 1948 when it
under Police Administration. It later changed hands to the Immigration and
section of the Foreign Affairs and Commonwealth office. In 1981 it moved to the
The enabling law and decree that back the issuance of Nigeria Passport are
Types of Passport
Basically, there are 5 types of Passports in Nigeria as listed below:
1. Diplomatic Passport: this is issued to persons on diplomatic mission. It
is red in
There is also, on specific occasions, Emergency Travel Certificate issued by the missions abroad to Nigerians for the purpose of emergency travel and it is usually valid for three (3) months. It is for homebound Nigerians only. All Passports issued by the Nigerian Government have a lifespan of ten (10) years (initial validity of five (5) years, renewable for another period of five (5) years, after which a new one must be re-issued). Pilgrims Passport is valid for a limited period of six (6) months.
Guidelines For Obtaining A Nigerian Passport
On 17 July 1998 to be precise the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) introduced a new Standard Nigeria Passport called the Standard Machine Readable Passports (MRP). Below are the guidelines to obtain the MRP:
1. Confirmation of Nigerian citizenship
6. No Nigerian should be in possession of two valid Nigerian Passports.
10. As a fact of law, a non-Nigerian should not possess a Nigerian Passport; every citizen of Nigeria has the right of possession if the required guidelines and conditions for the issuance of the passport are met.
Procedures For Acquisition of A Nigerian Passport
The procedures for the acquisition of the Nigeria Passport include:
1) Purchase of N5,100 bank Draft from the designated bank,
3) Registration of the file containing documents (listed in (2) above),
Reasons For Reasons For The Introduction of MRP
The new Machine Readable Passport (MRP) was introduced in order to address the following problems ascribed to the old passport:
1) The old Passport did not totally conform to nor meet the security
standards of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO),
Benefits of The MRP
1. The Passport being Machine Readable facilitates the quick clearance of its holders at ports of entry and exit all over the world as against the previous situation whereby the holder of the Nigerian passport is subjected to avoidable, and sometimes unwarranted scrutiny in some ports of entry and departure.
2. The computerised system of the issuance of the MRP is capable of minimising the delay often experienced in Passport issuance in the past.
3. The introduction of MRP means the introduction (to Nigeria travelers) of a secured travel document, which has been endorsed by the International Civil Aviation Oganisation and respected and recognised by the international community
4. The new design MRP is expected to improve the International image of Nigerian travelers abroad.
Sources: Excepts from August 2000 and 2001 issues of The Migrant, a quarterly magazine of the NIS, Zone 'A', Lagos and NigeriaBusinessInfo.com field work.
Copyright © 2000-2001 bROADBASE(UK) Ltd & Broad End(Nig) Ltd. All rights reserved. Copyright © 2000-2001 Nigeriabusinessinfo.com. All rights reserved.